Sunday, November 2, 2008

International Cricket, Kumble: It was a tough call


Anil Kumble, who announced his retirement from Test cricket on Sunday, said it was a very tough decision to call it quits.

Kumble had to sit out the second Test against Australia in Mohali with an injured elbow, and in Delhi he received 11 stitches after damaging his fingers when attempting a catch off Matthew Hayden.
"It was a very tough decision after 18 years of cricket. When you have been competitive, it is difficult to call it a day."
Kumble admitted his body had given up: "The body gave me the decision and the finger injury too played a part."
"I had made the decision on Saturday. I knew I would not be fit in time for the Nagpur Test and did not want to let the team down."
Kumble talked of the glorious years for Indian cricket where he forged some terrific performances with Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman.
Kumble said he would be with the team in Nagpur.
"I will definitely want to be there to wish Sourav all the best in his last Test and Laxman on his 100th Test. I am sure we can win the series in Nagpur."

No comments: