Sunday, November 9, 2008

Formula , Di Grassi grateful for Renault chance


Reanult’s test driver Lucas Di Grassi spoke to Mobile ESPN’s Rajat Mahendru before a roadshow on the Rajpath in New Delhi.

Rajat Mahendru: What's your future if you don't pass the Honda test?
Lucas Di Grassi: Ahhh...It's difficault to say. It's better if we wait for the test to happen. But to rate my chances I think it's very difficult to quantify. They will anyway choose what best suits them and that's not my decision. All I can do is the best I can, but for the moment I am with Renault and I have been for a long time. I am very glad that Renault gave me this opportunity to test.
RM: How have your experiences on the world circuit shaped your path in to Formula One?
LG: Well, I started with karting and then I moved to Formula 3 and then GP 2 (Team Durango in 2006, ART Grand Prix in 2007 and Campos Grand Prix - current team) of course. I was always very successful in every category, that's why I got to drive in the F1. And as far as I know, I think even Renault is quite pleased with my job as a test driver.
RM: Coming from Brazil, a country that has produced so many great drivers, who is your idol?
LG: I don't have any! I just admire work and dedication. Not an idol.
RM: Recently, (F1 CEO) Bernie Ecclestone came up with the idea of doing away with the points system and instead giving medals to drivers (gold, silver, and bronze). How will one decide the constructor's championship?
LG: Huh?? I have no idea about this new plan from Mr. Ecclestone! (Even Nelson Piquet Jr. is not aware of the idea!) I don't know! But I think it's strange because then, finishing fourth would be as good as finishing 20! So if finishing fourth is same as finishing 20, it would not be very interesting to watch. Instead, I think they should open up the points system even more. They should give points to everyone like in the NASCAR, because then if you finish 11th or 15th then you will be awarded differently.
RM: The Indian Grand Prix has been shifted to 2011 from 2010. You have seen the roads or tracks here, so do you think India will be up for the task?
LG: Yeah! I think it will be a massive event. It's a huge country, a huge market for everybody so I think that F1 definitely needs to come to India and I think it will be very good.

No comments: