Sunday, November 9, 2008

International Cricket, Flintoff: I was made a scapegoat


Andrew Flintoff accused his teammates of making him a scapegoat for the disastrous Ashes whitewash.

Calling the aftermath of the 0-5 loss against the Australians Down Under as the lowest point of his career, Flintoff said he often felt isolated in the eye of growing criticism while his teammates were busy fending for themselves.
"When we were getting hammered out there, it was a lonely one as well. Blame was flying in all directions and a lot was assigned to me. What happened then was that self-preservation kicked in among some of the players. It was human nature, they started looking after themselves and retreated into their own groups," said Flintoff.
"In hindsight, the captaincy was one job too many for me. I felt isolated. It was the lowest point of my career and, having been through it," said the 29-year-old all-rounder who returned to England side for a seven-ODI and two-Test tour of India.
And he pledged support to current skipper Kevin Pietersen so that he does not go through the same trauma that he went through in Australia.
"I would never let a captain I played for go through that experience. Kevin has started brilliantly and the team have responded. But he has to be ready if things start to go wrong," Flintoff was quoted as saying in the 'Mail on Sunday'.
"Being captain of England is a great job, especially when you are winning. But when you are struggling, it is tough and you can't just do it from 9am to 7pm. It is with you all the time and it plays on you. I hope it never comes to it, but if things start to go wrong I'm going to make sure KP doesn't stand alone."
The burly all-rounder said was Pietersen's decision to let him bat at number six helped him regain his confidence after being out for over a year from international cricket due to an ankle injury. "When he took over the England captaincy, Kevin said he wanted five bowlers for the last Test (against South Africa) and asked me if I would bat at six and I was more than happy with that and I said I wanted to bat as high as possible in the one-dayers.
"Maybe his attitude and certainty helped give me confidence. Maybe it was coincidence, but by the end of the summer I was taking guard, looking up and all I could see were gaps." Asked about his target, Flintoff said, "Before my latest operation, I said to myself that if I didn't feel that I could play better than I had done before I would have quit there and then. But I feel I can do much more than I have done up to now.
"I'm fit. There are no problems at all with the ankle. I'm more comfortable with my game and in myself and in a much better position to perform. And there is a massive amount to strive for now."

No comments: