Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hamilton: Losing will not be a disaster


Lewis Hamilton knows he is on the verge of creating history but he insisted he is still young if he fails to win the title.

Hamilton has the opportunity to banish memories of what occurred at the end of last year when he threw away a title that appeared to be in his grasp with two races remaining.
But it was not to be as the 23-year-old missed out by a point to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen, who overcame a 17-point gap - and seven in the final race in Brazil - to pip the Briton.
A year on, and it is Raikkonen's Ferrari team-mate, Felipe Massa, who is staring at a seven-point deficit to McLaren star Hamilton.
It appears inconceivable Hamilton could again miss out, but he is keen to adopt a philosophical approach, suggesting it would not be the end of the world if he did so.
"Every championship is big, but every year you step up you get to a bigger and better championship," assessed Hamilton.
"This is that final step, and this is the pinnacle, the crown at the top, and for sure this would be my biggest achievement.
"But I've plenty of time yet. I'm still at the early stages of my Formula One career, so I've room. It's not like it's my last year."
Asked whether it would be a disaster if he missed out, Hamilton was keen to play down such a suggestion.
"When you lose a game of tennis, it's a disaster," smiled Hamilton.
He then added: "It's just another competition. We've still had a good season, and I've done a pretty good job.
"But I would say I want to do a better job next year."
Even the prospect of being the youngest champion in F1 history does not hold much water with Hamilton.
"It doesn't make any difference," insisted Hamilton.
"Whether you are the youngest or oldest, no difference."
Although Hamilton appears to be dismissive, it is more to do with the relaxed air he is keen to exude throughout what is certain to be a tense weekend.
"Last year I didn't enjoy this race at all," admitted Hamilton on the subject of his spectacular collapse.
"But this year already I'm enjoying it, and I will do for the rest of the weekend.
"I'm happy for the weekend to take its time. I've come a long, long way, and just to wish it to go quickly is not the way forward.
"It will be a great weekend. It will come and go very quickly anyway, so it's important we enjoy the moment and the experience.
"That means I've come here with the correct discipline as I did in the last race.
"We went there to win, but if we hadn't have won, it would not have been the end of the world.
"It's the same here. We've come to win, and if we don't it's not the end of the world. That's how we'll approach it."
Hamilton finished the first day's practice fourth fastest overall behind Renault's Fernando Alonso, Massa and Toyota's Jarno Trulli.

No comments: